You’ll never see S’mores the same way again.
Is it even summer until you’ve had a S’more? Warm, gooey, and oh-so-delicious, the classic combo of crisp graham crackers, melty chocolate, and oozing marshmallows is one it’s hard to imagine improving upon.
Editors at our sister site Taste of Home, however, were up for the task. They asked for simple ways to take S’mores to the next level, and boy, did their readers deliver. But out of all the tasty ideas they received, one stood out: Add peanut butter!
Why peanut butter?
We love this hack because it’s SO simple. All you need to do is spread a li’l goodness on each cracker before adding the other toppings. Or, you could sub a peanut butter cup for the plain chocolate. (Heck, you could add both!)
Plus, a jar of peanut butter is easy to throw in your backpack before a camping trip. It doesn’t require refrigeration and makes for a hearty snack by itself or with some pretzels. Surprised we’re touting the health benefits of peanut butter? Don’t be! Peanut butter is just one of the many foods that used to be considered unhealthy that are really packed with health benefits.
If peanut butter isn’t your thing, try one of these other candy-centric combos:
- Gooey caramel: Substitute the plain chocolate bar for a caramel-filled square. (We love the ones Ghirardelli makes).
- Refreshing mint: Try adding one large chocolate-peppermint candy (like York) or a few small squares (like Andes) for a tongue-tingling treat.
- Epic crunch: Use a crunchy candy bar (like Kit Kat or Crunch) to add extra texture to your S’more.
- Allergy-friendly: If you or a loved one has a peanut allergy, check out a nut-free cup (like the PeaNot brand).
- Go nuts: If you prefer hazelnuts over peanuts, spread your favorite chocolate-hazelnut spread (hello, Nutella) on your S’mores. Or, use an almond butter cup (we love Justin’s).
For another delicious dessert upgrade, read on for the secret ingredient you should be adding to your brownies.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.